Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lent Feast

As indicated in my Lent rules post, one day a week the disciplines can be relaxed. Actually, that has happened for a few days now since I am on a vacation. I will count the weeks as Monday through Sunday for my five bunches of greens. I will plan my one day off for Sunday, unless there is an interfering event, like this coming weekend. Family wine tasting and feasting means I will switch the feast day from Sunday to Saturday. Same as this weekend, where my vacation ended. Boo for end of vacation, but the regular routine will make Lent a little easier.

Feast Day Menu
Maryland's Kale
Vegan Crab Cakes
Rice
Fruit Salad

So the feast day feast was great! And it wasn't completely a feast either, as I made great progress on five bunches of greens and tried a new dish that will become a staple as Lent continues. In this case it is Maryland's Kale from The Everyday Happy Herbivore. The kale is cooked simply, with just sliced onions, garlic, Old Bay, and lemon. I cooked it longer than the recipe calls for because I like my greens well done, and I'm at altitude. Like the Carolina Kale, this would make a great main dish by adding beans and using it to top rice. I think I'll try adding mushrooms as well.

But the feast part was Lindsay's recipe for vegan crab cakes that stole the show. Made with tofu, oyster mushrooms, well seasoned and topped with tofu remoulade, they were fantastic! A great dish for when you have the time and energy for something a little fancy. Bravo Lindsay!

Next up:
Week (shortened) in Review
Can I pro-rate my five bunches of greens, since the week started on Wednesday? 'Course I can. It's my Lent after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment