Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Lenten Experiment


        The usual way Lent was organized according to the all knowing elves at Wikipedia was with three practices, or disciplines: Fasting, Prayer and Almsgiving. I am modifying Fasting and Prayer to suit my own goals with this year's experiment. Rather than a specific goal to achieve, or a result I wan't to have, I am focusing on the process and trying to create a few habits. Some are new, others have slipped away over time.

Prayer
        I am not using prayer in a religious sense, but instead as a time for meditation and reflection. This is a practice that comes and goes in my life. I meditate for awhile, then start to "forget", and it all disappears. So daily meditation will be the goal. The style that I am going to experiment with Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) which comes from the Buddhist practice of Vipassana, or insight meditation. I find it attractive both for the goal oriented beginning of stress reduction, but also because the practice has a long tradition behind it to go much further than symptomatic stress relief. Reflection will come in the form of writing and journaling, ideally daily, both online and off. In past years I have made interesting discoveries with this Lenten experiment, I hope the same will happen this year.

Fasting 
Traditionally, fasting meant a vegetarian diet, but I already do that. So, in the tradition of conservation and reducing luxury, I will eat the way most people of modest means do: Rice and Beans, and Rice and Vegetables. My breakfast will remain the usual oatmeal, but all lunches and dinners will be some variation of the above.

In my own variation of using Lent as an experiment, I will change my diet a little more toward Dr. Fuhrman’s version of superfoods. I just read his new book Super Immunity, and I want to strengthen my immune system. Thanks to my recent bout with pneumonia, I learned that my immune system is not as strong as I thought. So the discipline will be to eat five bunches of his top ranked leafy greens every week. I have eight to choose from, so that will most likely be dinner every night.

Copouts and Cheating

Since I make up my own rules, I added a little variation I found used by some traditions. You get to take one day off from the disciplines a week. Traditionally this was the sabbath day, which was conceived of as a mini Easter or resurrection, where one could feast again. I think it was to help people maintain their motivation and will to get through six weeks. I will allow myself the same escape route on Sunday. 

Making up your own rules? Yeah, buddy! It’s good to be the king.

Anybody else use the Lent season in a similar way? What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment